Sunday Stuff: Makeup Brush Washing

Everyone has they're own little pet peeves, one of mine is dirty makeup brushes.
For me its just a big no, not only does it mean that the brushes you are putting on your face everyday are harbouring bacteria likely to make you break out in spots but makeup simply just doesn't apply the same when your brushes are already caked in foundation for example. Clean brushes are a necessity for me. Now I'm not saying I'm perfect when it comes to regularly cleaning them, I mean, everyone gets a bit lazy from time to time but I aim to clean them once a week on a Sunday. Some people would clean theirs after every use no matter how often that is, whilst others would leave it a fortnight, a month, maybe even a year and some never do!



I think the main thing that puts people off washing their brushes is that they think of it as a chore. It really doesn't take that long and once its done you'll realise what a difference it makes. My preferred method is using Johnsons baby shampoo and warm water. There are two main ways of cleaning makeup brushes, spot cleaning and deep cleaning. I don't really spot clean, because its only really needed if you had used a black eye shadow, for example on a brush and then need the same brush to apply a different, lighter, colour. Personally I don't really do this because I wash my brushes regularly enough and have a few eye shadow brushes.


These a few of my most used brushes, which I will be cleaning for this blog post.


As aforementioned I use Johnson's baby shampoo to clean my brushes as it is very gentle and doesn't leave residue like other regular shampoos. It's also a very affordable option!

I simply wet the end of the brush with warm water and put a little bit of the shampoo into the palm of my hand.

I then swirl the brush around in the shampoo to loosen up, and dissolve the makeup.
When washing your brushes  its really important that you hold the brush with the bristles pointing downwards, so that water does not get into the ferrule (the handle of the brush) as this can melt the glue inside, loosen bristles and rot the ferrule . This can lead to the brush moulting when you do your makeup. Also never fill the sink up with water put your brushes in it or stand brushes in water, e.g. a jar, for the exact same reason. Only the bristles of the brush should get wet when washing them.

This creates a soapy lather and you will see all the makeup from the brush colouring the soap suds. I often find it quite surprising just how much makeup comes out of my brushes, especially with foundation brushes!


Rinse the brushes thoroughly under warm water, gently squeezing them to allow all the soap suds to wash away.

I then squeeze the bristles gently to remove any excess water and reshape them if necessary back to how they should look (only if they have become a little misshapen with washing, its important you do this before they dry as you cannot really reshape brushes once they are dry)


I then lay the brushes out to dry. I roll up a flannel or towel and then place another, flat over the top to create a slope for the brushes to rest on, this means that any water that may have gone into the brush will all drain out. Never leave brushes to dry on a radiator.


How often do you wash your brushes? Do you have any good brush cleaners to recommend?



No comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts so leave me a comment below!xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Olivia Emily Beauty

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig