Epilating : First Impressions and Braun Silk-Epil 5 Review

For years shaving was my hair removal method of choice however I started to get frustrated with how often I had to shave my legs to keep them smooth and hair free. The smooth feeling never lasted more than a couple of days and the hair grew back thicker, making the whole problem worse. I'd heard that epilating gave better results in terms of removing smaller, finer hairs and keeping you smooth and hair free for much longer. I was lucky enough to be given the Braun Silk-Epil 5 (5780) Epilator for Christmas (blog post of what I got here) and to cut a long story short I haven't shaved my legs since!


This model comes with 7 attachments including a shaver head, and caps for trimming, sensitive areas, face,  massage, and skin content. A cooling gel glove that you put in the freezer is also included which is great for sensitive skin! It removes even the smallest finest hairs, as short as 0.5mm, which shaving could not do. As the hair is removed from the root as opposed to cut off at skin level, you are left smooth and hair free for around 4 weeks. I rinse the cap under running water after each time I used it to clean it throughly. There is a light attached which helps you see hairs so you don't miss a single one, which is really useful! There are two speed settings the faster of which gives a smoother more professional finish.

I only epilate my legs currently, I tried my armpits but I find its a very difficult angle to do yourself. It can get a little difficult as you have to hold the skin taught with one hand and use the epilator with the other and I find that my hand holding the skin taught gets in the way and I can't see what I'm doing properly! More practice needed here I think!


The cooling glove is great as it helps to prepare the skin for epilation and I use it after to soothe the area. Pain wise, its far less than I thought. Its an odd feeling for sure, but its not horribly painful and you get used to it, after using it a few times I just found it a little bit uncomfortable as opposed to painful! Its nothing you can't handle. I was so scared of the pain when I first used it but the results are so worth it! This model isn't the cheapest but at the same time isn't the most expensive out there, it is currently £99.99 at Boots but there are often some great deals on so keep your eyes peeled (especially in the summer or at Christmas). For beginners, who are unsure of if the will like epilating, I would recommend trying the Braun xelle Easy Start Silk-epil 5180 epilator as its only £10 from Boots. I haven't tried this one but it is very similar to the one I have but a bit stripped down and is easier to use, plus its an absolute bargain! Please read the instruction booklet included very carefully before use as, like with shaving you can cut yourself if used wrongly.

I hope you're all having a lovely week! New blog post will be up on Sunday!

No comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts so leave me a comment below!xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Olivia Emily Beauty

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig