Sunday Stuff: Makeup Sponge Cleaning



One of the questions that I'm most frequently asked is how to clean a makeup sponge. So I thought I'd dedicate a post to it as I'm sure there are many of you who would like to know some ways to keep your makeup sponge in tip-top condition and bacteria free.

There are many ways to clean a makeup sponge, and for many years I'd cleaned mine using Johnson's Baby Shampoo (the same way I clean my makeup brushes, blog post here) and that works well. However, on a recent online trip to Cult Beauty I stumbled across the much raved about Beauty Blender solid cleanser. It's a makeup brush and sponge cleanser that when dampened will remove any makeup build up.


I think it's such a gentle and yet effective way of cleaning my makeup sponge and I am currently favouring this method. Another tip I would suggest for killing any nasty bacteria in your sponge is to place it in a bowl of warm water and microwave it for about 30 seconds. This will kill any bacteria and is great to do before washing your makeup sponge. However please be careful when removing both the bowl and the beauty sponge from the microwave as both will be very hot. Simply remove the sponge from the water, squeeze all the water out and lay to dry kitchen paper (or a clean tea towel) or simply continue by cleaning with your chosen method.


The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is my current favourite. I have been using it since it was released by the lovely Sam and Nic from Pixiwoo to their makeup brush range. The sponge is best used damp and can be used to apply cream products such as foundation and concealer. Using it damp will also stop it from eating up your foundation and making you use more! It gives a gorgeous airbrushed finish to the skin and blends products like a dream.

What do you use to clean your makeup sponges? Let me know if you have any tips I'd love to hear them!

No comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts so leave me a comment below!xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Olivia Emily Beauty

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig